Monday, March 17, 2008

Letter to My Daughter


I’m having an unusually blue evening. We stay pretty busy and I try not to focus too much of my energy on this wait but tonight it’s getting the best of me so I thought I would write something for Laurie Alice and she would enjoy reading it one day and see just how much I love her.

To My Sweet Ladybug,
I want to let you know that not a day goes by that I don’t think about you and pray for you. I told your Daddy tonight that this wait is really getting to me and even though we are in the home stretch it still feels like an eternity away. Ever since we started your adoption process we have prayed that you would get lots of hugs and kisses until we can give them to you ourselves. I do pray that someone is looking after you with watchful eyes and that you know what it feels like to be rocked when you’re tired and comforted when you cry. Please know that I love you so much and can hardly wait until the day when I get to scoop you up in my arms and give you a million hugs and kisses. I send you thoughts that somehow you will know that you have a family waiting to embrace you and to be there for you on the good days and not so good days. There is so much we want to show you and experience with you. You have a big sister who can’t wait to meet you. She wrote you the cutest story and made it into a book. She draws pictures of you all time and talks about you as if she has always known you. I’ve explained to her that you may be shy and a little scared when you first meet us and to not be upset if you should cry. Your sister replies, “No way Mama, she might be a little scared of you and Daddy but she will know me because I will look like her”. I know you two will have a bond that will probably run even deeper than most biological sisters. You share a similar story.
Hang in there and know that very soon we are coming and very soon you will have a sense of belonging. Even though you have been alone for the first 2 ½ years of your life you have a family on the way and I promise, you will not face another day by yourself.
I Love You,
Mommy

No comments: