Thursday, March 27, 2008

Thankful Thursday

I am thankful for a great Easter. We had a wonderful service at church.
My mother gave us a great gift in that she prepared lunch for all of us
and didn't have us bring anything. She knew we would be busy with our
children and church services, although she had church herself. There
were no fusses or tears with the children and it was just a wonderful
and relaxing day. I also took Monday off of work and got to be lazy.

I am thankful Bigdaddy (my grandfather and not a really big man) is
doing better. He has been struggling with bronchitis and his sugar
levels have been very high. He told us Sunday that he has been able to
decrease his insulin shots after following a strict diet and loosing
weight. The bronchitis seems to be much better.

I am thankful for the birds. I have recently taken to bird watching. I
bought a couple bird feeders and just about every morning I will sit in
our office and watch them out the window. We have red birds (my
favorite) blue jays, wrens, doves, wood peckers and some others that I
don't recognize or know their names. It's very interesting to watch
them. They will come in little groups and take turns at each of the
feeders. Some will perch on the branches and be the "look out" birds
watching for cats and any other animal that might want to disrupt their
breakfast. Others will just feed from the ground picking up seeds that
have fallen from the feeders. I've noticed the redbirds appear to be
considerate of one another. One will quickly take a few seeds, perch on
a branch and then allow the next one to the feeder and then he will grab
some seed and perch and allow the next red bird to feed and so on and so
on. Now the woodpeckers are very different in that they are greedy and
will stay at the feeders for a very long time and when they come the
other birds leave. I guess their size intimidates the smaller birds or
maybe the smaller birds just find the woodpecker obnoxious and don't
want to be around them. I have no idea what goes on in the minds of
birds but what I am learning is that the birds don't have a care in the
world. I'm reminded of the scripture found in Matthew 6:25-27
"Therefore I say to you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat
or what you will drink nor about your body, what you will put on. Is
not life more than food and the body more than clothing? Look at the
birds of the air, for they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns
yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not of more value than
they? Which of you by worrying can add one cubit to his stature"? My
desire is to not worry so much and I'm coming to understand more each
day that I am of great value and how much I am loved and cared for by my
Heavenly Father and I'm thankful I'm learning this lesson every morning
by looking out of my window.

Have a great Thursday!!

No comments: