Monday, June 2, 2008

What have I been up too?

What have I been up to since we got home on May 17th? Sleeping, cleaning, organizing, playing and enjoying both my girls. I’m sorry it’s been so long since I’ve blogged but there just doesn’t seem to be much time anymore. When Laurie Alice is napping I’m running around trying to clean the house, pay bills and get caught up on projects etc…… I have the best of intentions to blog but by 9:00 I’m pooped and in the bed. In fact everyone in the whole house is asleep between 9:00 – 9:30!! This is a new schedule for me and Rusty as we have always been night owls but ever since we left for China on May 1st those late nights are behind us. I’m up by 5:15 a.m. every morning so Rusty and I can at least sit together and drink our coffee; have our devotion time and find out what the other one has been up to. Then I hit the ground running. However, I do love being at home and I am really enjoying spending time with Laurie Alice. She is such a happy and affectionate child. Her transition into the family has been wonderful. It has gone better than I ever expected. Coming from a good orphanage and then being involved with the Half the Sky Foundation has really helped her ease right into her position as our new daughter and baby sister. She gives us lots of hugs and kisses and seems to be really enjoying herself. If I could read her mind she would be thinking Ahhhhh, my family, home sweet home. I am enjoying all her “first”. It’s so much fun to watch her do even the simplest of things. To some, it might seem boring or menial, but to watch her eat ice cream or watch her walk very slowly across the lawn because she’s never felt grass under her feet makes me laugh. I’m still sleeping with her and this is probably my favorite time. She loves to press her face up against mine and she will smile and giggle. She rubs my arms and face and she makes sure I am covered up. Too sweet and very mature for a 2 ½ year old!

She and Gracie have really made great strides in the sister department this week. Laurie Alice watches and mimics everything her big sister does. She will also let Gracie pick her up some without becoming agitated as she previously has before. Most of you know that Gracie is a “touch me not” but just tonight she let Laurie Alice kiss her goodnight right on the lips and they hugged. I can see that a lot of bonding is taking place between them.

Gracie celebrated her 6th birthday on the 26th and I hope to post some pictures soon. We had a family party this year at my sister’s pool. I knew having just come home from China planning a big party would be the last thing I wanted to do. She had a great time and didn’t seem to mind that none of her friends were there. I still can’t believe she is 6 and her last day of kindergarten will be Thursday. She has really grown up since our trip. Becoming a big sister has that affect I suppose.

My goal now is to try and post at least once a week. I really want to get back to Thankful Thursday because as I’ve mentioned before this blog is for Gracie and Laurie Alice and it’s important to me that they read about the things that their mother is thankful for. I pray it will have a positive impact in their lives. I may not be a super mom and I will make plenty of mistakes but what I want them to know from reading this one day is that I am a mother who loves them and their father very much

These are a few pictures taken right before Gracie’s party.






(Home 2 days)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Leslie! I love your blog! And I LOVE the pictures of Gracie!! It was so encouraging to talk to you today! You really made my day! God bless you and your family. I wish we lived closer. I miss seeing you guys at breakfast! Love,
Kim

Kim said...

hey! I am so happy to hear things are going well. Ya'll have been in my thoughts and prayers often over the last few weeks. I will call you soon.
Kim Downs