Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Happy Gotcha Day Gracie!!!

Six years ago today I met the second love of my life! Oh how we waited in anticipation in that hotel room in Changsha. We woke early that morning and went to breakfast in the hotel but I could barely eat a bite. I watched the other new families eating together and thought in just a few hours we would be just as happy as they were.

The plan was for the families to wait in their rooms until 10:00 when the babies would be delivered to each family’s room. At 10:15 we got antsy and I could hardly breathe so we decided to stand in the hall. I heard one of the moms in our group say “they're here, they're here” at which point the Nanny’s went into the first room and our guide motioned for us to go ahead and go in that room to get Gracie. I left our room door wide open and could have cared less if someone had stolen everything we owned. I walked into the room and there she was!!! She went right to me and was so happy to see me. If she could have talked I think she would have said “I’ve been waiting for you”. She laughed and bounced and played with the necklace I was wearing with her name on it. She never cried or shut down or went through any of the things that some babies do when they meet their families for the first time. It was love at first sight.

A couple weeks ago Gracie expressed some concern that maybe I loved Laurie Alice more or that Laurie Alice was more special to me. I told her with tears in my eyes that there was a time when I never thought that I would know what it was like to have a child. On February 17th, 2003 my prayers were answered and she made me a mother. She would always be special because she was the desire in my heart. I feel so lucky and so blessed to have her in my life.

Happy Gotcha to Emily and Jada, Gracie’s Chinese sisters.

(The pictures are in random order)















1 comment:

all4memories said...

Oh what a happy day! Congratulations!! Blessings to all of you on this very special day!!