Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Happy First Gotcha Day!



It’s hard to believe Laurie Alice has been with us for only a year because I feel like we’ve had her since the day she was born. I think back when Rusty and I decided we would go the special needs route on our adoption journey. I was nervous but I knew we were doing exactly what God had laid on our hearts. It’s funny that she would be special needs because I don’t even think of her as a special needs child. She is our daughter who happens to be cleft affected. During our waiting process she was the special needs child who would be our daughter. Most of the time I don’t even think about it unless she gives us one of her big belly laughs and I happen to see the inside of her mouth and then I’m like “Oh yeah, I forgot about that”. She is such a sweet and compassionate little soul. I say little soul because she is already wise for her years. I think this has happened from her 2 ½ years in an orphanage. At 18 months old she could dress herself and one of the Nannies told us that she liked to help pass out the shoes every morning to the children in her room. I can tell she was taken care of and came from a good orphanage but I still think she has seen and done things most toddlers never have to experience.

I love this little girl with all my heart and I think WOW we could have missed this if we had decided to do what we wanted rather than what God had chosen for us. Oh sure, we would have received a lovely little child I’m sure we would have fallen in love with through the traditional route but we would have missed out on HER heart warming smile and HER adorable little nose and all the thousand other things that make HER special.

Sweet Laurie Alice, always know that Mama and Daddy and Gracie along with MeMa and PaPa and your great grandparents, Aunts, Uncles and cousins LOVE YOU SO MUCH and thank you for adding so much to our lives. You truly are a blessing to us all. HAPPY GOTCHA DAY!!!!!!!!!!





4 comments:

Amanda said...

I can't believe it's been a year! It has gone by fast. She is such a cutie! She is blessed to have wonderful parents like you and Rusty and a rockin' sister like Gracie! Congrats on the first year!

Anonymous said...

I can't believe it has been a year already. She is so lucky to have such a wonderful family! Love ya girl!
Kim Downs

all4memories said...

Happy Gotcha day, Laurie Alice! Even though we've never officially met, we love you and are thankful to know your mom, dad, and sister. I hope you all had a terrific day together as you celebrated this blessed event!!!

Beth and Ryan said...

Time does fly! And I can identify with the feeling of always having them....and the part where you forget the cleft. Amazing! Can't wait to get together sometime soon.