Thursday, April 17, 2008

Thankful Thursday

I am thankful that our Travel Approval came last Wednesday!!! I still can’t believe we are leaving May 1st for China.

I am thankful that we used a travel agent to book our flights to China. Last time VJ and I did it ourselves, or rather VJ did, and although it wasn’t rocket science to book them, it is one less thing we have to worry about.

I am thankful for the price of our tickets. We thought it would be about $1,400 each but as it turns out it’s about $941. A great savings!!!!

I am thankful that Gracie is so excited about this trip and her sister. Her teacher sent an email and said that is all she talks about and writes about. Gracie has written two books about her sister and both of them made me cry. I will have to scan them and post them. I know there will be ups and downs to sisterhood but I really think Gracie is going to be a wonderful big sister.

I am thankful that I am not worried to death about this trip. I wish I could have said that last time around but there were so many “unknowns”. I’d never been a mother or traveled to another country so it was a bit overwhelming. This time around I feel much more confident in my parenting abilities. Like, if LA runs a fever I’ll know we don’t have to rush to the ER, instead I’ll just alternate Tylenol and Advil. Crying will not cause a child’s head to pop off. If something is swallowed that shouldn’t have been, no doubt you are going to see it again. China is the largest country so obviously people are surviving over there and we will too.

I am thankful that this mothers day I will have both my girls with me and my family will be complete (for now anyway). I’m thankful that Rusty will have access to the best pearl and jade markets so he and the girls can get me a fabulous gift (hint, hint, sweetie).

I am EXTREMELY thankful for all the prayers we are receiving. I know that every leg of this trip is going to be bathed in prayer. I know that should something come against us I’ve got people in the USA interceding for us and whatever the obstacle should be it will have to be removed. I have so much reassurance that the Holy Spirit is already in China awaiting our trip. I know this because of something that happened last time we traveled. We had landed in China and both Rusty and I were tired and felt a bit overwhelmed. Here we were in Communist China where Christians are still persecuted all the time (but you will never here that on the news). We felt alone and China felt very big with all its strange sounds, smells and sights. As we entered the hotel where we would spend the next couple of days I prayed very simply “Lord, we need to feel your presence here with us”. As we sat in the lobby waiting while our guide got our rooms situated we heard the most beautiful piano music and looked over to see a beautiful young Chinese girl playing. Rusty got the biggest smile on his face and asked “do you hear what she’s playing” I was so tired that I had not paid attention but she was playing the powerful song “Shout to the Lord” sung by congregations everywhere in the US. I honestly believe this girl was a Christian and the Lord had her in that place playing that song for an American couple who needed to know that He was there in the midst of all the unknowns.

2 comments:

Doreen said...

Beautiful post. I felt the same way going for DD#2.Second time's the charm! I even ventured out on my own...no guide!

Doreen from Montreal single Mom to Faith and Mia

Doreen said...

great post. I felt the same way with DD#2. Like they say, second time's the charm.I even ventured out on my own in Beijing...no guide!
Doreen in Montreal proud single Mom to faith and Mia